As of 13th July 2020:
- 3,488 meals gifted by angels in our community, of which 2,947 meals in total have been served to-date to support the local community in Dubai across 72 consecutive days.
- The current gifted meals are likely to run out by 23rd July 2020.
- 4 small local restaurants are being sent local orders for cooked meals, and we have supported 3 other restaurants as well with meal orders during through the course of the program.
- 51 neighbours-in-need being sent daily meals currently in Satwa, Bur Dubai, Karama and Deira.
- A good samaritan in our community has shared a list of over 600 people who would benefit from some form of assistance. Our team has been continuing to make calls to suss out who can benefit from the #stayhome tour tiffin program so we may support more neighbours in need in the best way possible (not everyone is best supported with a cooked meal, e.g. families may prefer separate ingredients to cook for themselves, others may require other forms of help beyond what we are legally able to offer right now).
- It has taken us a considerable amount of time to ramp up deliveries as we are verifying whether the people being served are truly in need and not receiving the same assistance from other known sources. We want to ensure that your gifts reach the right people and appreciate your support and patience as we do our best to reach more people in the community.
Who Are Our Community Restaurants?
Here are some sample meals provided by our restaurant partners:
- Rayyan Mandi [Yemeni, 04-2244434, used to the the old Tawasol restaurant]: Chicken mandi (melt-in-your-mouth roasted chicken) with rice, lentil soup, leafy greens.
- Qwaider Al Nabulsi [Jordanian-Palestinian, 04-2277760]: Maklooba rice with chicken, salad, yogurt with cucumbers.
- Al Ammor [Egyptian, 04-2500115]: Chicken potato tagine, rice, salad, soup, dates, yoghurt.
- Biryani Culture [Indian, 056-9883080]: Biryani, apple, dates, yogurt, laban and water.
- Sind Punjab [Indian, 04-3525058]: Chicken biryani, pakodas, jalebis and soft drink.
- Ravi’s in Satwa [Pakistani, 04-3315454]: Chicken tikka, biryani rice, gravy, salad, chutney, laban, sweet, water.
- Hot Palayok [Philipino, 04-2219797, *temporarily closed as of now*]: Chicken tinola soup, ensaladang talong (salad), jasmine rice, beef kare kare, buko pandan, banana, juice, water.
We’d also love if you called them directly and ordered their delicious food to support them during the current crisis. Don’t use delivery apps because they charge hefty commissions to the restaurants which are already hurting right now. Some of the above restaurants may have delivery minimums based on your area but it’s always worth calling to check. Every little bit counts!
Which Neighbours Receive Your Gift?
There is no denying that the COVID-19 storm has affected us all. Some more than others. As restaurants struggle to keep their kitchens running, there are also those, amongst us, who would benefit most from the comfort of a wholesome meal:
- Community members who are suffering from the loss of work, reduction in salary or forced, unpaid leave.
- Job seekers who are marooned in the city, far from their family and loved ones.
- Flat mates who run the risk of contamination through shared kitchen spaces.
- Breadwinners who can no longer afford to support their families back home.
And then there are those of you who are itching to be heroes but don’t know where to begin.
If only there was a way to connect your desire to make a difference with restaurants that need support and neighbors who need one less meal to fret over.
What if we told you, we have you covered?
Know a Neighbour in Need?
Tell us how we can reach them by clicking here. We’ll do our best to set them up with the #stayhome Tour Tiffin. We’re currently only offering the service in limited locations but hope to expand as we iron out logistics.
We’d like to thank our website and booking portal providers ezTix
for working with us to keep all processing costs to a minimum for this program.