Battle out the most delicious, aromatic and dynamically seasoned plate of biryani across 4 top contenders that claim to cook it in Dubai.
- Taste your way through 3 different biryani variants across 4 stops in one evening with the help of fellow hungry judges.
- Uncover the disputed origins of biryani, which may possibly have begun its life as a rice-less dish!
- Sample the Frying Pan family’s homestyle biryani, made by the founders’ mother herself!
- Get top biryani-making tips that we’ve smuggled from the powers that be—mothers who’ve been guarding their recipes with their lives.
What—and who—makes an exceptional biryani? This very question has had Dubai residents debating furiously with no clear answer in sight. Join us in taking on this very daunting and controversial task of seeking out Dubai’s Best Biryani under 40 Dirhams.
The evening will start in none other than the Frying Pan family home, with a homemade biryani lovingly prepared by the mother of the founding Frying Pan sisters. After this taste of home and mum’s personal biryani stories, you and your fellow judges will board our Biryani Bus to visit the 4 restaurants whose biryanis earned top scores in our team’s preliminary taste tests. Use the ride between the restaurants to digest, play our Biryani Trivia, get Biryani recipe tips, or do what most are compelled to do after a heavy plate of biryani—nap!
Get your ‘Top Chef’ hat on, score each biryani and cast your vote in favour of Dubai’s Best Biryani under 40 Dirhams.
We meet at the entrance of XIMI Vogue shop outside Al Rigga Metro Exit #1, Al Rigga Road. The shop is steps away from Gift Gallery Centre. Please be on time, we don’t wait for latecomers!
Given the heavy traffic, limited parking and different starting and ending locations, we strongly recommend that you take the metro rather than driving to the trail. If you plan to take a taxi, please budget extra time for traffic.
#Sufra refers to our program of limited edition experiences that go beyond our regular food tours. It includes food walks along new routes, taste battles to find the ‘Best of…” something delicious in the city, culinary road trips and more. Our team is constantly researching and collaborating with the broader food community, so that you can savour unique foods, cultures and communities nurtured in Dubai and the neighbouring Emirates.
Yes, we welcome all residents and visitors! Anyone can join by booking the listed #Sufra events on our calendar.
Yes! Some experiences do have a minimum or maximum group size limit. In most cases, we would be happy to adapt an existing #Sufra event for your private party or corporate team.
Here’s how, and if any one or more of these distinguishing features resonate with you, then you’re our perfect #Sufra guest:
- Stronger community focus – You’re eager to connect with other intellectually curious members of our community, over a common passion for food, culture and exploration.
- More dynamic and collaborative – You’d rather be involved in discussions moderated by a Sufra host, rather than being “guided on a tour;” you leave the event knowing that the dialogues you had within the group added richness to the experience.
- More fringe discoveries – You already know the not-so-secret “hidden gems” in the city; you’re looking to access those cultures, conversations and experiences that are rarely on the mainstream radar. They’re either reserved to a few cultural circles or are often discovered only by people with special insider access, e.g. journalists.
- Less structured, more fluid – You simply want to have a fun, not overly planned outing with like-minded people who love food!