Slurp on silky noodles in Dubai’s unofficial Chinatown located in International City.
- This event will run once, on January 26, 2019.
- 11:30AM to 3:00PM
- The tour requires a minimum of 8 guests; we may cancel and refund tickets if the minimum is not met.
- Walking only; distance covered is ~2.7km/1.7mi with stops in between.
- Tastings include Gluten/Lactose/Dairy/Nuts. Please notify us of severe allergies.
- Dress to walk – wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Carry earphones for our audio guide system.
- The minimum age to join the tour is 14 years.
Compare the flavours and diversity of Chinese cuisine and its major influences. Steer away from stereotypes of Chinese take-out and relish tastings from lesser-known regions. We’ll explore the umami flavours of the East, the mellow notes of the Cantonese region, and the hot and spicy flavours of the Sichuan province.
- Savour 4 noodle dishes.
- Learn about the geographical and cultural influences of Chinese cuisine.
- Listen to the stories and memories of a Dubai resident with roots in the Sichuan region.
- Sip on tea infusions and indulge your dessert cravings with a sesame pudding.
This tour is crafted and designed in collaboration with Jing Lanh, a Dubai resident hailing from the Sichuan province.
We’ll meet in the parking lot behind Xie He Medical Centre, Building A-12, China Cluster, International City.
Please be on time, we don’t wait for latecomers!
We recommend that you take a taxi or drive to the trail start since public transportation options are limited. Please budget extra time for traffic.
#Sufra refers to our program of limited edition experiences that go beyond our regular food tours. It includes food walks along new routes, taste battles to find the ‘Best of…” something delicious in the city, culinary road trips and more. Our team is constantly researching and collaborating with the broader food community, so that you can savour unique foods, cultures and communities nurtured in Dubai and the neighbouring Emirates.
Yes, we welcome all residents and visitors! Anyone can join by booking the listed #Sufra events on our calendar.
Yes! Some experiences do have a minimum or maximum group size limit. In most cases, we would be happy to adapt an existing #Sufra event for your private party or corporate team.
Here’s how, and if any one or more of these distinguishing features resonate with you, then you’re our perfect #Sufra guest:
- Stronger community focus – You’re eager to connect with other intellectually curious members of our community, over a common passion for food, culture and exploration.
- More dynamic and collaborative – You’d rather be involved in discussions moderated by a Sufra host, rather than being “guided on a tour;” you leave the event knowing that the dialogues you had within the group added richness to the experience.
- More fringe discoveries – You already know the not-so-secret “hidden gems” in the city; you’re looking to access those cultures, conversations and experiences that are rarely on the mainstream radar. They’re either reserved to a few cultural circles or are often discovered only by people with special insider access, e.g. journalists.
- Less structured, more fluid – You simply want to have a fun, not overly planned outing with like-minded people who love food!