Play “Find the Flag” through historic Deira as we celebrate the stories of an ambitious city with humble beginnings.
- This event will run once on December 8, 2018.
- 9:30AM to 1:00PM
- Carry earphones for our guide audio system.
- The tour requires a minimum of 4 guests; we may cancel and refund tickets if the minimum is not met.
- Walking only; distance covered is ~2.5km/1.6mi.
- Tastings include Gluten/Lactose/Dairy/Nuts. Please notify us of severe allergies.
- Dress to walk; cover shoulders and legs above the knees.
- The minimum age to join the tour is 14 years.
Explore the historic alleys of Deira to celebrate the stories of an ambitious city with humble beginnings.
Our journey meanders through a path peppered with food and history, from paper-thin crepes with eggs and anchovy sauce served in an 100 year old heritage home, to gooey saffron halwa from the 1930s. At each historic stop, there’s a hidden UAE flag waiting to be discovered and delicious prizes to be won!
We visit a heritage house that celebrates the role of Emirati women and preserves the achievements of strong mothers and wives across the nation. As we walk through the alleys, we’ll spot the city’s oldest mosques and discover the well-known families that built them. Our path will lead us through the enticing aromas of the perfume souk and the everyday sights of traders and shopkeepers – until we reach a colourful majlis. This hidden dining space is served by public kitchen founded by an Emirati personality who is deeply passionate about local food. We end our stroll with a breakfast of local favourites: Balaleet, Dango, Bajella, Khabeesa, Chebab and Kadak Chai.
Our route and featured tastings are subject to change.
Sample the taste of Omani hospitality that has become a core part of Emirati culture.
Pearl Diving Merchant’s home
Sample savoury crepes, dates with cottage cheese, doughnut balls with date molasses and Emirati coffee.
Celebrate the role of women through the rise of the U.A.E.
Learn about Oud, Bakhoor and other popular scents across the Gulf.
Feast on traditional omelette with saffron and cardamom infused noodles, boiled chickpeas and fava beans, fluffy pancakes, a sweet semolina crumble and piping hot Karak Chai.
We’ll meet outside the Al Ras parking building opposite the Gold Souk.
Please be on time, we don’t wait for latecomers!
Considering the different start and end points, we recommend that you take public transport rather than driving. If you plan to take a taxi, please budget extra time for traffic. The nearest metro stations are Al Ras and Palm Deira (both on the green line).
What is #Sufra?
#Sufra refers to our program of limited edition experiences that go beyond our regular food tours. It includes food walks along new routes, taste battles to find the ‘Best of…” something delicious in the city, culinary road trips and more. Our team is constantly researching and collaborating with the broader food community, so that you can savour unique foods, cultures and communities nurtured in Dubai and the neighbouring Emirates.
Can anyone join a #Sufra experience?
Yes, we welcome all residents and visitors! Anyone can join by booking the listed #Sufra events on our calendar.
Can I do a #Sufra experience as a private or corporate event?
Yes! Some experiences do have a minimum or maximum group size limit. In most cases, we would be happy to adapt an existing #Sufra event for your private party or corporate team.
How are #Sufra experiences different from our signature food walks?
Here’s how, and if any one or more of these distinguishing features resonate with you, then you’re our perfect #Sufra guest:
- Stronger community focus – You’re eager to connect with other intellectually curious members of our community, over a common passion for food, culture and exploration.
- More dynamic and collaborative – You’d rather be involved in discussions moderated by a Sufra host, rather than being “guided on a tour;” you leave the event knowing that the dialogues you had within the group added richness to the experience.
- More fringe discoveries – You already know the not-so-secret “hidden gems” in the city; you’re looking to access those cultures, conversations and experiences that are rarely on the mainstream radar. They’re either reserved to a few cultural circles or are often discovered only by people with special insider access, e.g. journalists.
- Less structured, more fluid – You simply want to have a fun, not overly planned outing with like-minded people who love food!