Embrace the spirit of renewal embodied in the traditions of this ancient, spring-time New Year festival.
- This event will run once on 16 March 2019.
- 12:30PM to 3:30PM
- The tour requires a minimum of 6 guests; we may cancel and refund tickets if the minimum is not met.
- Walking and metro only; distance covered is ~1.2km/0.7 mi with stops in between.
- Tastings include Gluten/Lactose/Dairy/Nuts. Please notify us of severe allergies.
- Dress to walk – wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Carry earphones for our audio guide system.
- The minimum age to join the tour is 14 years.
Celebrate the ancient Persian festival of the Spring Equinox – Nawruz. This momentous occasion in the Persian calendar honours nature and binds together Persians of different ethnicities and faiths across the world. Cherish the bounty of Spring amid traditional fare at one of Dubai’s time-honoured Persian restaurants.
What to expect:
- Dine at one of the city’s most reputed Persian restaurants, renowned for its repertoire of unfailingly delicious Iranian food.
- Embark on an exploration of the history of Iranian traders and pioneering entrepreneurs in the city.
- Visit an Ali Baba’s cave of Persian wonders to delve deeper into the traditions of Nawruz.
- Decode the symbolism of a Haft-Seen which is a table used to display objects that begin with the letter ‘Seen’ in Farsi.
- Take turns reading the inspiring poetry of Hafez, a mystical poet from 14th century Iran and a leader in Persian literature.
- Ponder over the symbology of food in the practice of rituals across Old World cultures.
- Renew some of your New Year’s resolutions!
We’ll meet in the lobby of the Radisson Blu Hotel, Deira Dubai Creek
Please be on time, we don’t wait for latecomers!
The nearest Dubai Metro station is Union on the Red and Green lines.
Valet parking is available at the hotel.
Please note that we are starting and ending at different stops with a metro ride in between. We will provide a NOL card for the journey to the final stop, however, please ensure that you carry a NOL card for your return journey back to the meeting point.
What is #Sufra?
#Sufra refers to our program of limited edition experiences that go beyond our regular food tours. It includes food walks along new routes, taste battles to find the ‘Best of…” something delicious in the city, culinary road trips and more. Our team is constantly researching and collaborating with the broader food community, so that you can savour unique foods, cultures and communities nurtured in Dubai and the neighbouring Emirates.
Can anyone join a #Sufra experience?
Yes, we welcome all residents and visitors! Anyone can join by booking the listed #Sufra events on our calendar.
Can I do a #Sufra experience as a private or corporate event?
Yes! Some experiences do have a minimum or maximum group size limit. In most cases, we would be happy to adapt an existing #Sufra event for your private party or corporate team.
How are #Sufra experiences different from our signature food walks?
Here’s how, and if any one or more of these distinguishing features resonate with you, then you’re our perfect #Sufra guest:
- Stronger community focus – You’re eager to connect with other intellectually curious members of our community, over a common passion for food, culture and exploration.
- More dynamic and collaborative – You’d rather be involved in discussions moderated by a Sufra host, rather than being “guided on a tour;” you leave the event knowing that the dialogues you had within the group added richness to the experience.
- More fringe discoveries – You already know the not-so-secret “hidden gems” in the city; you’re looking to access those cultures, conversations and experiences that are rarely on the mainstream radar. They’re either reserved to a few cultural circles or are often discovered only by people with special insider access, e.g. journalists.
- Less structured, more fluid – You simply want to have a fun, not overly planned outing with like-minded people who love food!