Venture out to listen to Ghaya Al Dhaheri, an Emirati historian and storyteller recount the history of Gahwa and life in the oasis.
- This event will run once on November 24, 2018.
- 8:00AM to 6:00PM
- Morning snack, coffee ceremony with light breakfast followed by a communal lunch.
- Carry earphones for our guide audio system.
- The tour requires a minimum of 8 guests; we may cancel and refund tickets if the minimum is not met.
- Transportation to Al Ain is included. Walking distance is ~1.5km/0.9mi around the oasis.
- Tastings include Gluten/Lactose/Dairy/Nuts. Please notify us of severe allergies.
- Dress to walk; cover shoulders and legs above the knees.
Venture out to Al Ain and listen to Madam Ghaya Al Dhaheri, an Emirati storyteller and anthropologist, recount the history of Gahwa. Watch her prepare a ‘dallah‘ of royal coffee fit for a Sheikh at a traditional coffee ceremony hosted in the majlis of the Zayed Central Library, alongside a breakfast of regag and luqaimat prepared by Emirati cooks.
We then visit the oasis at the heart of Al Ain as Madam Ghaya shows us what life was like in the past and head off for a communal at a humble restaurant favoured for catering local events.
- Watch her perform a coffee ceremony in an ornate majlis using an heirloom coffee pot.
- Accept her offer of a ‘luxurious’ cup of coffee, a specialty coffee brewed with oud.
- Learn of the possible origin of Cappuccino and other controversial tales of coffee.
- Enjoy an Emirati breakfast prepared by local ladies and freshly picked dates native to Al Ain.
- Walk through the lush oasis of Al Ain as Madam Ghaya recounts stories of her childhood.
- Feast on a traditional Emirati meal of baked meat and spiced rice.
- Celebrate the National Day of the UAE reflecting on Sheikh Zayed’s values, hospitality and vision.
We would like to thank Zayed Central Library, our community partners for hosting us.
We’ll meet inside Al Jafiliya metro station, at the land-side bus station, Exit No. 3 and take a private bus to Al Ain.
Please be on time, we don’t wait for latecomers!
#Sufra refers to our program of limited edition experiences that go beyond our regular food tours. It includes food walks along new routes, taste battles to find the ‘Best of…” something delicious in the city, culinary road trips and more. Our team is constantly researching and collaborating with the broader food community, so that you can savour unique foods, cultures and communities nurtured in Dubai and the neighbouring Emirates.
Yes, we welcome all residents and visitors! Anyone can join by booking the listed #Sufra events on our calendar.
Yes! Some experiences do have a minimum or maximum group size limit. In most cases, we would be happy to adapt an existing #Sufra event for your private party or corporate team.
Here’s how, and if any one or more of these distinguishing features resonate with you, then you’re our perfect #Sufra guest:
- Stronger community focus – You’re eager to connect with other intellectually curious members of our community, over a common passion for food, culture and exploration.
- More dynamic and collaborative – You’d rather be involved in discussions moderated by a Sufra host, rather than being “guided on a tour;” you leave the event knowing that the dialogues you had within the group added richness to the experience.
- More fringe discoveries – You already know the not-so-secret “hidden gems” in the city; you’re looking to access those cultures, conversations and experiences that are rarely on the mainstream radar. They’re either reserved to a few cultural circles or are often discovered only by people with special insider access, e.g. journalists.
- Less structured, more fluid – You simply want to have a fun, not overly planned outing with like-minded people who love food!