Hop aboard The Curry Express and join us in unravelling the torrid mystery of Curry.
- This event will run once, on February 9, 2019.
- 11:30AM to 3:00PM
- The tour requires a minimum of 6 guests; we may cancel and refund tickets if the minimum is not met.
- Walking only; distance covered is ~2.2km/1.4mi with stops in between.
- Tastings include Gluten/Lactose/Dairy/Nuts. Please notify us of severe allergies.
- Dress to walk – wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Carry earphones for our audio guide system.
- The minimum age to join the tour is 14 years.
Our very own “Mistress-of-Spice” Farida, turns up the heat on curries from different cultures to find out why the term is a misnomer. A foreign word to the cuisines whose dishes it is often used to describe, the word curry belies the range of flavours, textures and cooking techniques involved.
How did this one word come to summarize a subcontinent’s food and those of its neighbours? Did the exoticization and generalisation of colonial cuisines make them more approachable to foreign palates in imperial homelands? We’ll try 3 Asian curries to stir up a discussion and lick the metaphorical pot clean.
- Tuck into a tangy Goan Prawn Curry, a Thai vegetarian Kaeng/Gaeng and a hearty Japanese Kari Raisu.
- Understand how different curries are prepared.
- Discover how colonial tastes influenced the evolution of native cuisines.
Our route and featured tastings are subject to change.
We meet outside the Park Regis Kris Kin Hotel, Karama.
Please be on time, we don’t wait for latecomers!
We recommend that you take the metro to the trail start; the nearest metro station is BurJuman (red and green line).
If you are driving or taking a taxi, please budget extra time for traffic.
What is #Sufra?
#Sufra refers to our program of limited edition experiences that go beyond our regular food tours. It includes food walks along new routes, taste battles to find the ‘Best of…” something delicious in the city, culinary road trips and more. Our team is constantly researching and collaborating with the broader food community, so that you can savour unique foods, cultures and communities nurtured in Dubai and the neighbouring Emirates.
Can anyone join a #Sufra experience?
Yes, we welcome all residents and visitors! Anyone can join by booking the listed #Sufra events on our calendar.
Can I do a #Sufra experience as a private or corporate event?
Yes! Some experiences do have a minimum or maximum group size limit. In most cases, we would be happy to adapt an existing #Sufra event for your private party or corporate team.
How are #Sufra experiences different from our signature food walks?
Here’s how, and if any one or more of these distinguishing features resonate with you, then you’re our perfect #Sufra guest:
- Stronger community focus – You’re eager to connect with other intellectually curious members of our community, over a common passion for food, culture and exploration.
- More dynamic and collaborative – You’d rather be involved in discussions moderated by a Sufra host, rather than being “guided on a tour;” you leave the event knowing that the dialogues you had within the group added richness to the experience.
- More fringe discoveries – You already know the not-so-secret “hidden gems” in the city; you’re looking to access those cultures, conversations and experiences that are rarely on the mainstream radar. They’re either reserved to a few cultural circles or are often discovered only by people with special insider access, e.g. journalists.
- Less structured, more fluid – You simply want to have a fun, not overly planned outing with like-minded people who love food!