Judge five versions of the Middle East’s most ubiquitous carnivorous wrap on a decisive taste-off across Deira.
- This event will run once on January 19, 2019.
- 6:00PM to 9:30PM
- The tour requires a minimum of 6 guests; we may cancel and refund tickets if the minimum is not met.
- Walking and Metro; distance covered is ~3km/1.9mi with stops in between, please carry a nol card.
- Tastings include Gluten/Lactose/Dairy/Nuts. Please notify us of severe allergies.
- Dress to walk – wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Carry earphones for our guide audio system.
- The minimum age to join the tour is 14 years.
What to Expect
Call it gyro, kebab, döner or shawarma, this Ottoman swaddle of shredded meat and toppings has found its place on street corners around the world. Here in Dubai, it has lured residents into heated debates over who and what makes the best shawarma. Join like-minded culinary judges in a bid to settle this once and for all!
- Sample 5 of our favourite beef and chicken shawarmas across Deira.
- Wash them down with Ottoman sharbat, refreshing tamarind juice and a yoghurt drink.
- Learn about the history of shawarma.
- Score, comment and reflect on what makes a successful shawarma with your peer judges.
We’ll meet outside Exit No.1, Baniyas Metro Station (green line), near the park.
Please be on time, we don’t wait for latecomers!
Please carry a Nol card as we will use the Metro for one section of the trail.
Given the heavy traffic, limited parking and different starting and ending locations, we strongly recommend that you take the metro rather than driving to the trail. If you plan to take a taxi, please budget extra time for traffic.
#Sufra refers to our program of limited edition experiences that go beyond our regular food tours. It includes food walks along new routes, taste battles to find the ‘Best of…” something delicious in the city, culinary road trips and more. Our team is constantly researching and collaborating with the broader food community, so that you can savour unique foods, cultures and communities nurtured in Dubai and the neighbouring Emirates.
Yes, we welcome all residents and visitors! Anyone can join by booking the listed #Sufra events on our calendar.
Yes! Some experiences do have a minimum or maximum group size limit. In most cases, we would be happy to adapt an existing #Sufra event for your private party or corporate team.
Here’s how, and if any one or more of these distinguishing features resonate with you, then you’re our perfect #Sufra guest:
- Stronger community focus – You’re eager to connect with other intellectually curious members of our community, over a common passion for food, culture and exploration.
- More dynamic and collaborative – You’d rather be involved in discussions moderated by a Sufra host, rather than being “guided on a tour;” you leave the event knowing that the dialogues you had within the group added richness to the experience.
- More fringe discoveries – You already know the not-so-secret “hidden gems” in the city; you’re looking to access those cultures, conversations and experiences that are rarely on the mainstream radar. They’re either reserved to a few cultural circles or are often discovered only by people with special insider access, e.g. journalists.
- Less structured, more fluid – You simply want to have a fun, not overly planned outing with like-minded people who love food!